    SubjectNotes from LPC PCI/MSI BoF session
    Matthew was kind enough to set up a BoF for those of us interested in PCI and
    MSI issues at this year's LPC. We went over several issues there: MSI, PCI
    hotplug, PCIe virtualization, VGA arbitration and PCI address space

    This was probably the biggest topic; we spent almost an hour on the topic as I
    recall. The main takeaways were these:

    Need to add something like James' lost interrupt code so we can better
    detect platforms with buggy MSI support (along with more general
    interrupt routing issues).
    Me. I'll be handling this by integrating James' patches into the PCI tree for

    Storage drivers need to use the functionality provided above and print an oops
    message or similar so we can pick it up and blacklist the platform.
    Matthew (I think?)

    smp_affinity and MSI are currently incompatible if MSI masking and INTX
    mapping are unavailable. Need to return -EINVAL from smp_affinity changes in
    this case.
    Me (happy to receive patches for this though).

    MSI API improvements. Need ways to allocate MSIs at runtime, and perhaps on a
    per-CPU level and get affinity information. And of course we need a way to
    get more than one legacy MSI allocated.
    Matthew is handling the first pass of this (the more than one legacy MSI
    addition). I think we'll need some detailed requirements from the driver
    guys to make further improvements (e.g. per-CPU or affinity stuff).

    Need better MSI platform blacklists.
    Me. I'll see if I can gather the list of issues the Fedora guys saw last time
    they tried to enable MSI unconditionally. We can also improve the list
    through the added debugging described above.

    PCI hotplug
    PCI hotplug has seen a lot of churn lately, mainly due to long overdue fixes
    from Alex & Kenji-san. Now that Kristen is done with LPC related planning
    and implementation, she says she'll have time to review more patches, but she
    also said PCI hotplug doesn't need a dedicated maintainer. Assuming there
    are no objections, I'll apply a patch to remove the associated entry from
    MAINTAINERS for 2.6.28.

    I'm really happy with the level of review we've been getting on hotplug
    related patches these days, I hope we can keep it up. One of the main
    remaining issues that I can see is adding some better detection code for our
    hotplug slot drivers. It seems like we're missing something given that we
    see so many systems with duplicate slot IDs; maybe we're not calling the
    right ACPI methods or are calling them wrong somehow?

    PCIe virtualization
    Briefly discussed the SR-IOV patches Yu has been posting recently. Except for
    a couple of changes requested by Alex & Matthew, it looks like this patch set
    is in pretty good shape. I'll wait for Matthew & Alex to ack the next set,
    then I'll apply to my linux-next branch.

    VGA arbitration
    There's some code for handling legacy VGA routing floating around. Ben put it
    together awhile back, and Tiago Vignatti has been looking after it lately.
    It's a good interface to have for multi-seat configurations that require
    multiple VGA cards to be POSTed; it mainly needs to be re-posted to the
    mailing list for final review at this point (and Ben mentioned one more API
    is needed to allow drivers to exclude themselves from arbitration once they
    no longer need legacy VGA space).

    PCI address space management
    TJ has a bunch of code to improve address space management in Linux. We
    talked for a few minutes about this at the BoF; at this point I'm just
    waiting for TJ to post his stuff so we can start integrating it. Hopefully
    we can start merging small pieces of it (like the multiple PCI gap stuff) for
    2.6.28, and get some more eyes on the more aggressive PCI-DMAR stuff he's
    been talking about soon.

    Well that's all I have in the way of notes. Feel free to add your own if I
    missed anything or correct me if I mischaracterized things.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-09-22 21:31    [W:0.025 / U:41.384 seconds]