SubjectRe: Unified tracing buffer
* Steven Rostedt (rostedt@goodmis.org) wrote:

> Martin,
>
> First I like to express my appreciation to you for writing this up. Not
> only that, but being the one person from keeping us from killing each
> other ;-)
>

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Martin Bligh wrote:
>
> > During kernel summit and Plumbers conference, Linus and others
> > expressed a desire for a unified
> > tracing buffer system for multiple tracing applications (eg ftrace,
> > lttng, systemtap, blktrace, etc) to use.
> > This provides several advantages, including the ability to interleave
> > data from multiple sources,
> > not having to learn 200 different tools, duplicated code/effort, etc.
> >
> > Several of us got together last night and tried to cut this down to
> > the simplest usable system
> > we could agree on (and nobody got hurt!). This will form version 1.
>
> Yes, we kept the chairs on the floor the whole time.

Yes, they were too heavy. ;)

> > I've sketched out a few
> > enhancements we know that we want, but have agreed to leave these
> > until version 2.
> > The answer to most questions about the below is "yes we know, we'll
> > fix that in version 2"
> > (or 3). Simplicity was the rule ...
> >
> > Sketch of design. Enjoy flaming me. Code will follow shortly.
> >

> > STORAGE
> > -------
> >
> > We will support multiple buffers for different tracing systems, with
> > separate names, event id spaces.
> > Event ids are 16 bit, dynamically allocated.
> > A "one line of text" print function will be provided for each event,
> > or use the default (probably hex printf)
> > Will provide a "flight data recorder" mode, and a "spool to disk" mode.
>
> I don't remember talking about the "spool to disk" for version 1.
> We still want to do this? I thought we would have overwrite mode (flight
> data record), and a "throw all new data away when the producer fills the
> buffer before the consumer takes" mode.

Yes, I think the spool to disk mode will be the default mode needed by
a big amount people who want to stream data out continuously. The flight
recorder is needed mostly for event backlog analysis. I think we have to
provide both.

> > Circular buffer per cpu, protected by per-cpu spinlock_irq
> > Word aligned records.
>
> As stated in another email "8 byte aligned" words should be fine.

It's also easy to be sizeof(void *) aligned, as long as we export
sizeof(void *) in the buffer header so we keep portability. But we can
keep that for v2. It's also good to write a magic number in the trace
header to auto-detect endianness.

> > Variable record length, header will start with length record.
> > Timestamps in fixed timebase, monotonically increasing (across all CPUs)
> >

> > INPUT_FUNCTIONS
> > ---------------
> >
> > allocate_buffer (name, size)
> > return buffer_handle
> >
> > register_event (buffer_handle, event_id, print_function)
> > You can pass in a requested event_id from a fixed set, and
> > will be given it, or an error
> > 0 means allocate me one dynamically
> > returns event_id (or -E_ERROR)
> >
> > record_event (buffer_handle, event_id, length, *buf)
>
> I was talking with Thomas about this, and we probably want (and I'm sure
> Mathieu and others would agree), a...
>
> event_handle = reserve_event(buffer_handle, event_id, length)
>
> as well as a..
>
> comit_event(event_handle).

How about :

trace_mark(ftrace_evname, "size %lu binary %pW",
sizeof(mystruct), mystruct);
or
trace_mark(sched_wakeup, "target_pid %ld", task->pid);

Note the namespacing with buffers being "ftrace" and "sched" here.

That would encapsulate the whole
- Event ID registration
- Event type registration
- Sending data out
- Enabling the event source directly at the source

We can then export the markers through a debugfs file and let userland
enable them one by one and possibly connect systemtap filters on them
(one table of registered filters, one table for the markers, a command
file to connect/disconnect filters to/from markers).

> Oh, and all commands should start with the namespace.
>
> ring_buffer_alloc()
> ring_buffer_free()
> ring_buffer_record_event()

We could even rename markers if required, I don't really care. e.g. :
trace_mark -> ring_buffer_record_event()
but note that this would contain all the event ID registration.

> etc.
>

> > OUTPUT
> > ------
> >
> > Data will be output via debugfs, and provide the following output streams:
> >
> > /debugfs/tracing/<name>/buffers/text
> > clear text stream (will merge the per-cpu streams via insertion
> > sort, and use the print functions)
> >
> > /debugfs/tracing/<name>/buffers/binary[cpu_number]
> > per-cpu binary data
>
> Ah, I thought we were going to have:
>
> /debugfs/tracing/buffers/<name>/<buffer crap>
>
> and each tracer have
>
> /debugfs/tracing/<name>/<trace command crap>
>
> This way we can easily see all the buffers in one place that are allocated
> without having to see a tracer name first.
>
> The reason I like the way I propose, is that a utility that needs to read
> all the buffers, doesn't need to go into directories that don't even have
> buffers. Not all tracers will allocate a buffer.

people can still do ls debugfs/tracing/*/buffers/. But yes, we did agree
on having the buffers/ subdir outside of the "trace command crap". It
makes the buffers easier to see in the directory tree, and makes it
clear that those buffers can be used by other users than the actual
tracer this controls their input.

> > CONTROL
> > -------
> >
> > Sysfs style tree under debugfs
> >
> > /debugfs/tracing/<name>/buffers/enabed <--- binary value
> >
> > /debugfs/tracing/<name>/<event1>
> > /debugfs/tracing/<name>/<event2>
> > etc ...
>
> I wonder if we should make this another sub dir:
>
> /debugfs/tracing/buffers/events/<event-name>

Sure.

If needed, we could change the markers to take two separate parameters :

trace_mark(tracer_name, event_name, "format", args)

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

  Last update: 2008-09-20 15:59    [W:0.246 / U:0.300 seconds]