    SubjectRe: Unified tracing buffer
    Hi Martin,

    > During kernel summit and Plumbers conference, Linus and others
    > expressed a desire for a unified
    > tracing buffer system for multiple tracing applications (eg ftrace,
    > lttng, systemtap, blktrace, etc) to use.
    > This provides several advantages, including the ability to interleave
    > data from multiple sources,
    > not having to learn 200 different tools, duplicated code/effort, etc.

    I talked with Thomas and Steven about it during lunch and we might wanna
    also use it for sniffing/monitoring/capturing efforts. Inaky and I
    talked about unifying things like usbmon, hcidump, tcpdump etc. with a
    common interface into the kernel. Currently every subsystem does it
    differently. Especially when it comes to add monitor support to SDIO we
    ran into the problem that we don't just wanna invent another interface.

    Right now I haven't spent much time on this and regret that I didn't sit
    together with you guys yesterday, but it was not that high priority on
    my list of nice things to have. Anyway, since I am mostly interested in
    subsystems that copy a lot of packets around, it would be nice to only
    reference to the data. For example for structures like SKBs and URBs and
    only have to copy the data if we have a consumer. My thoughts :)

    Regards

    Marcel

      Last update: 2008-09-20 02:29    [W:4.783 / U:0.108 seconds]