SubjectRe: warn: Turn the netdev timeout WARN_ON() into a WARN()
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:39:07 -0400
Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org> wrote:
\

> ACK, this fixes my objection, thanks

ok

> > If all the networking guys agree that the report
> > has no value for developers because they're all unfixable hardware
> > bugs,
>
> You misunderstand; reporting and tracking these issues have value,
> but the information you are dumping (specifically the backtrace) does
> not.

WARN() is about a lot more than a backtrace, but point taken, see below

> I think it would benefit Linux if our bugs announce themselves in a
> standard way, but the backtrace is not a key part of that, and IMO
> should be optional.

I cannot disagree with the "the backtrace is not useful" statement for
this case. I don't even mind making a WARN() variant that doesn't
backtrace; I'll look into that. I don't consider it "2.6.27 urgent"
though; a backtrace is pretty light to do for such an exceptional
slowpath case, and the only real effect is a few lines
in /var/log/messages that are somewhat redundant.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2008-09-17 23:49    [W:0.039 / U:0.548 seconds]