    SubjectRe: Regression in 2.6.27-rcX caused by commit bc19d6e0b74ef03a3baf035412c95192b54dfc6f
    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Matthew Garrett wrote:
    > that's not a criticism of anyone involved - the documentation's
    > confusing and there weren't any good examples of how it should be
    > implemented).

    I sure hope you mean "the documentation WAS confusing"... because if it is
    still confusing, I have not got any comments or ideas about how it could be
    improved yet... (HINT!).

    > The real question is how the LED state is supposed to be being toggled,
    > and what that's got to do with rfkill. I /think/ that the current state
    > of events is:
    >
    > 1) User toggles state
    > 2) State toggle is used by b43 to generate KEY_WLAN (this is broken)
    > 3) rfkill-input toggles the rfkill state, changing the LED state in the
    > process

    Actually 2 and 3 will fight each other, and weird things will happen.

    > What *should* be happening is:
    >
    > 1) User toggles state
    > 2) b43 changes rfkill state (by using rfkill_force_state). The LED state
    > should also be changed in the process.

    Correct.

    However, rfkill_force_state() is NOT updating LED states (I just checked).
    I will sleep on the issue, and send in a patch tomorrow.

    This probably means a small patch to rfkill + Matthew's fixed patch to use
    rfkill_force_state() in b43 will fix the regression in the right way.

    I don't care either way which kind of fix goes to 2.6.27, though.

    The proper fix for rfkill will be in two stages. A small fix now, and a
    complete change on the LED handling to use the blocking notifier chain
    instead later on (which will clean up rfkill code somewhat).

    Henrique Holschuh

      Last update: 2008-09-17 04:37    [W:0.034 / U:33.528 seconds]