SubjectRe: CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_TRACEHOOK and you
Date
> user_stack_pointer() is apparently a requirement, too.

Ah, yes! I'd forgotten about user_stack_pointer() and instruction_pointer().
Those never got properly documented either.

> Although given that you already have a task_struct pointer the only place
> you currently use it (lib/syscall.c), it makes more sense to use
> KSTK_ESP/KSTK_EIP which is provided by almost everyone already.

Almost? It must be everyone, right?
It's used unconditionally in fs/proc/array.c (the only use).

I hadn't noticed these before. They aren't commented anywhere.
I've got to say, too, these are truly dismal names!

Also, I've just noticed that x86-64's user_stack_pointer() is wrong for the
case when a fast-path 64-bit syscall is in progress. To get it right, it
needs a bit from the struct thread_info, so a call that takes task_struct
instead of (or in addition to) pt_regs is certainly right.

These are defined in asm/processor.h, as macros. It would be better if
they could be inlines, but they really can't because asm/processor.h is
before struct task_struct is defined, etc. I wonder if we could move these
to another header where they can be clean inlines. I'd sure like to change
those names while we're at it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Roland

  Last update: 2008-09-15 22:41    [W:0.074 / U:0.140 seconds]