    SubjectRe: Regression in 2.6.27 caused by commit bfc0f59

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

    > Hmm. Haven't seen that before, but if confirms what I guessed from
    > your previous dmesg information. I wonder why you did not observe
    > strange behaviour with older kernel versions.

    x86-32 never used the PM_TIMER for frequency estimation, it only ever used
    the PIT. See the old "native_calculate_cpu_khz()" in tsc_32.c that you
    deleted in favor of the (imho inferior) x86-64 version.

    How about:

    - taking the old 32-bit code, and using it to initially _just_ estimate
    the TSC speed. That code was stable and pretty much guaranteed to work
    reasonably well on all machines. It retries the timings three times,
    and picks the best one.

    - Then, _after_ you already have a pretty good estimation for TSC, you
    can use _that_ to then get the HPET and/or PM_TIMER version (and not
    use the PIT at all for those calibrations)

    - and if the PM_TIMER one is too far off, just throw it away. We know the
    PIT is a lot more trustworthy than the PM_TIMER.

    Hmm?

    Linus

      Last update: 2008-09-01 21:13    [W:0.023 / U:0.180 seconds]