SubjectRe: 2.6.26.[1-3] + x61 tablet + x6ultrabase: no resume after undocking
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2008, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
>> There is one question though that was never answered: Is there any
>> interaction needed from the userspace when docking/undocking? Something
>
> Yes. umount filesystems on any device in the dock, and issue the "power off
> dock" command (i.e. tell the kernel to *eject* the dock). This is *very*
> important, although the ThinkPad firmware/hardware will _try_ to protect the
> electronics if you just pull the laptop off the dock while it is still
> powered (but it might just not be able to do it, so Don't Do That!).
>
> Anyway, if your dock led is going off before you remove the laptop from the
> dock, you're doing everything correctly as far as the hardware is concerned.
>
> And the kernel will scream bloody murder if you remove a device with live
> filesystems in it, so it should be trivial to check if that part is being
> taken care of by your userspace as well. Not that something like this would
> be an excuse to fail to suspend/resume after being undocked, mind you.

To undock, I press the button on the dock, the led blinks a couple times
and turns green (also, dmesg tells me that all USB devices have been
removed and they indeed stop functioning). Then I take the laptop out of
the dock.

Because the X61 lacks a CDROM drive, I bought a bay CDROM drive along
with the UltraBase. But there is no CDROM inside it (so no mounted
filesystems). I also have an USB keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB
slots in the dock. So it seems the kernel *should* take care of those
things without any userspace interaction.

I just tested suspend/resume with the CDROM drive removed (an empty
bay). Suspend/resume now works just fine, regardless how I dock/undock
the laptop.

Anyway, regarding the additional patches, which tree can I pull them
from? (I'm eager to test them, I very much want my dock to work properly)

thanks
tom

  Last update: 2008-09-01 14:19    [W:0.069 / U:0.120 seconds]