SubjectRe: Policy re. cellular USB modem mode switch
On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 04:45:30AM +0200, Oliver Martin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> trying to get my ZTE MF628 HSDPA modem to work left me wondering if
> there is an established policy whether or not to include the "mode
> switch" code most cellular USB modems need in the kernel or not.

Questions like this have been hashed out numerous times already on the
linux-usb mailing list.

> Currently, the MF628 requires a userspace helper called usb_modeswitch
> to be called [1] to change from mass storage mode to serial mode.
> After, that it can be used with the usbserial driver or preferably,
> after one adds the right vendor and product id, with the option driver.

Never use the usbserial generic driver with a device you actually want
to go fast :)

The option driver is better.

For switching modes, use the userspace program, it's not going to be
done within the kernel. See the linux-usb archives for details.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2008-08-09 07:09    [W:0.070 / U:0.384 seconds]