SubjectRe: [00/03] [RFC] USB debugging rework
On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:57:58AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
> > I've been annoyed for a long time that we make users go off and rebuild
> > their kernels just to enable usb debug messages. So finally, here's the
> > start of fixing that issue.
>
> Will your patches also allow to turn off the usb debugging at some point,
> for example after system boot has been completed if the debugging was
> only needed to analyze a boot issue?
>
> I noticed earlier this week that USB debugging will really flood the
> syslog and had to rebuild my -rc2 kernel without debugging and reboot to
> get rid of it. AFAICT with your patches only rebooting would be needed,
> but it would be even nicer if it also could be turned off (and on?) using
> a sysfs parameter.

no rebooting. Just rmmod and modprobe again with the parameter set to 0,
although a sysfs file would be nice, or maybe allowing the
/sys/module/*/parameters/* to be writable :-)

I think that should be done in driver core.

--
balbi

  Last update: 2008-08-10 01:39    [W:0.098 / U:1.796 seconds]