SubjectRe: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning
On 08-08-08 15:11, Press, Jonathan wrote:

> One is the guy right out of college who really likes computers and he
> gets a job at a place where they use Linux, and he does a web search
> and finds this really cool application that might help him do his job
> better, so he installs it on the spot. Uh-oh.

See, that never happens here. Our guys use Linux while _in_ college (in
between the periods where they need to run Windows to get their college
work done ofcourse) and after graduation take a job collecting microsoft
certifications that their boss pays them to collect.

Then I come along a couple of years later and buy the old soundcards
that they put up for sale on our national auction site, mentioning I
want that stuff for Linux testing and they get all teary-eyed and
melancholic about the good old days when they had the time to play
around with linux. Those fun childhood days.

Not making it up.

> One is the guy who's been working there for a while and the head of
> IT, tired of spending so much on Windows, tells him to install Linux
> on a few machines, so he follows the instructions and he's now the
> administrator.

I saw that happening a few years ago here. By now, the small time shops
that I'm aware of have all gone back to Windows. Linux simply cost them
too much time which, if IT is not their business, they had no intention
whatsoever of spending on IT.

Do let me assure you though that I'm definitely aware that my personal
frame of refence might not be all that gobally applicable and bow out of
the discussion.

Rene.

  Last update: 2008-08-08 15:45    [W:0.273 / U:0.040 seconds]