    SubjectRe: [patch 1/3] kmsg: Kernel message catalog macros.
    On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 13:07 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

    > > > But the structure of dev_printk() is well definied and should be pretty
    > > > trival to parse even with missing fields.
    > >
    > > The missing field is the message tag. Which is the key for the message
    > > lookup. As far as the kmsg catalog is concerned this is a pretty
    > > important field that may not be missing from the printk itself.
    >
    > No, I mean use dev_printk() as the base for your logging macro. Add
    > your message tag as the first field after the dev_printk() information.

    Hmm, you are proposing to introduce a second format for the kmsg
    messages to avoid the need for some more printk wrapper macros. To me it
    seems that this has two problems:
    1) The message tag is for the user of the system. If it does not have a
    fixed position it gets confusing.
    2) The message tag for a driver message usually already includes the
    driver name, the dev_printk will print it again. This is ugly and
    reduces the quality of the message.

    --
    blue skies,
    Martin.

      Last update: 2008-08-07 10:35    [W:4.156 / U:0.012 seconds]