SubjectRe: unprivileged mounts git tree
Quoting Miklos Szeredi (miklos@szeredi.hu):
> Here's a git tree of the unprivileged mounts patchset:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfs.git unprivileged-mounts
>
> Could this be added to -mm (and dropped if it's in the way of
> something) for some testing and added visibility until it's reviewed
> by Christoph/Al?
>
> I'm not reposting the whole patchset, since it's essentially the same
> as the last submission, only updated to the latest git. But if
> somebody wants it I can post them.
>
> Thanks,
> Miklos
>

> Documentation/filesystems/fuse.txt | 88 ++++++++-
> Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt | 40 ++++
> fs/filesystems.c | 60 ++++++
> fs/fuse/inode.c | 21 ++
> fs/internal.h | 3 +-
> fs/namespace.c | 366 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
> fs/pnode.c | 22 ++-
> fs/pnode.h | 2 +
> fs/super.c | 26 ---
> include/linux/fs.h | 7 +
> include/linux/mount.h | 4 +
> kernel/sysctl.c | 16 ++
>
> Miklos Szeredi (10):
> unprivileged mounts: add user mounts to the kernel
> unprivileged mounts: allow unprivileged umount
> unprivileged mounts: propagate error values from clone_mnt
> unprivileged mounts: account user mounts
> unprivileged mounts: allow unprivileged bind mounts
> unprivileged mounts: allow unprivileged mounts
> unprivileged mounts: add sysctl tunable for "safe" property
> unprivileged mounts: make fuse safe
> unprivileged mounts: propagation: inherit owner from parent
> unprivileged mounts: add "no submounts" flag

Hi Miklos,

so on the bright side I pulled this tree today and it compiled and
passed ltp with no problems.

But then I played around a bit and found I could do the following:

(hmm, i'm trying to remember the exact order :)

as root:
mmount --bind -o user=500 /home/hallyn/etc/ /home/hallyn/etc/
mount --bind /mnt /mnt
mount --make-rshared /mnt
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev

as hallyn:
mmount --bind /mnt /home/hallyn/etc/mnt
/usr/src/mmount-0.3/mmount --bind mnt/dev mnt/src

Now /mnt/src contained /dev.

Is this what we want? Do we want to tell the admin it's his fault for
not somehow forcing a slave relationship between /mnt and
/home/hallyn/etc/mnt? Except I don't think he can do that preemptively,
it has to be done after hallyn does the mmount.

So does that mean that if non-root user X does:

mount a b

where b is user=X but a is not, then if a is shared we should force it
to be mounted as slave at b?

-serge

  Last update: 2008-08-08 00:31    [W:0.085 / U:0.408 seconds]