SubjectRe: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning
Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote on 06/08/2008 16:25:55:

> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:37:06AM +0100, tvrtko.ursulin@sophos.com
wrote:

> > if we
> > up with
> > don't need

> > added

> > > Compared to the real time it takes in the "virus engine"? I bet
it's
> > > totally lost in the noise. Those things are huge beasts with
thousands
> > > to hundreds of thousands of context switches.
> >
> > No, because we are talking about a case here where we don't want to do
any
> > scanning. We want to detect if it is procfs (for example) as quickly
as
> > possible and don't do anything. Same goes for any other filesystem
where
> > it is not possible to store arbitrary user data.
>
> See previous messages about namespaces and paths for trying to figure
this
> kind of information out in a sane way within the kernel.

How are namespaces and pathnames relevant to exclusions based on
filesystem *type*? It is not about checking for /proc but checking if the
filesystem name is proc, sysfs, ..

> > right?

> > the
> > >
> > > Again, compared to what? If you in userspace are doing big complex
> > > things, such an overhead is trivial.
> >
> > Again similar thing as above - In case of a cache we are not doing
complex
> > things.
>
> Except for the overhead of keeping a cache :)

As small as possible - just one extra field in the inode struct.

And really you are talking about a different thing again and moving the
argument around. I answered you why your argument about putting a cache in
userspace since we do so much there already is wrong, because we don't do
a lot (anything really) in userspace for vast majority of opens if we have
this totally simple in-kernel caching scheme.

> > So I think you can't argue that because scanning is slow everything
> > else has to go to userspace. On a typical running system scanning is
> > exceptional and everything else benefits from being in the fast path.
>
> I really can not judge as we have not seen an implementation yet.

Did you mean "_I_ have not seen an implementation yet"? Because Eric
posted it so you can have a look at your leisure.

Tvrtko

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.

  Last update: 2008-08-06 18:07    [W:0.125 / U:1.748 seconds]