SubjectRe: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linuxinterfaceforon access scanning
On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 09:11:14 -0400
> There was probably an implicit assumption on everyone's part,
> including Red Hat's, that what ought to be done was to replace the
> existing syscall-based event trapping with some other interface that
> more or less does the same thing in a cleaner way -- NOT to have all
> of the AV and other product vendors go out and completely rethink
> their models. And that's not because we inherently object to
> rethinking. It's really an issue of what kind of time frame we have
> before a new OS goes out that completely breaks our products.

not writing to the syscall table hasn't been possible/allowed for..
about 5 years now. (yes I know there were still bad hacks possible
until 2 years ago). So I'm sorry, but the timeline argument doesn't
hold, you've had 5+ years of warning.

All existing RHEL products already don't allow this (I know it for the
earlier ones since I was part of the design team)... unless your
software acts entirely like a rootkit (but even then)

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2008-08-06 15:53    [W:0.154 / U:0.076 seconds]