SubjectRe: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning
Date
On Wednesday 06 August 2008 19:44, tvrtko.ursulin@sophos.com wrote:
> Nick Piggin wrote on 05/08/2008 19:08:05:
> > On Tuesday 05 August 2008 07:00, Eric Paris wrote:
> > > 5. Define which filesystems are cacheable and which are not
> >
> > This is practically impossible to do completely without rewriting a lot
> > of code (which will never be accepted). I don't see why it is needed
>
> though
>
> > as the filesystem cache is supposed to be kept coherent with disk.
>
> Problem is with network filesystems. So could it be a flag somewhere per
> filesystem which would say something like "this filesystem guarantees
> content of a file cannot change without get_write_access or
> file_update_time being called locally"? That doesn't sound like a lot of
> code so what am I missing?

Maybe... but that's not the same as what requirement 5 calls for.

But depending on exactly what semantics you really call for, it can get
tricky to account for all of pagecache. Writes can happen through page
tables or get_user_pages. True that a process has to at some point have
write permission to the file, but the cache itself could be modified
even after the file is closed and all mmaps disappear.

  Last update: 2008-08-06 13:13    [W:0.132 / U:6.756 seconds]