SubjectRe: [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning
From
On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 05:00:16PM -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
> Please contact me privately or (preferably the list) for questions,
> comments, discussions, flames, names, or anything. I'll do complete
> rewrites of the patches if someone tells me how they don't meet their
> needs or how they can be done better. I'm here to try to bridge the
> needs (and wants) of the anti-malware vendors with the technical
> realities of the kernel. So everyone feel free to throw in your two
> cents and I'll try to reconcile it all. These 5 patches are part 1.
> They give us a working able solution.
>
> >From my point of view patches forthcoming and mentioned below should
> help with performance for those who actually have userspace scanners but
> also could presents be implemented using this framework.
>

> Background
> There is a consensus in the security industry that protecting against
> malicious files (viruses, root kits, spyware, ad-ware, ...) by the way
> of so-called on-access scanning is usable and reasonable approach.

Can you point to any helpful explanations of that concensus?

Off-hand it's surprising. (A defense that depends on cataloging every
possible individual attack sounds difficult!)

--b.

  Last update: 2008-08-06 01:05    [W:0.345 / U:2.944 seconds]