    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Merkey's Kernel Debugger
    From
    > On Wednesday 06 August 2008 01:19, jmerkey@wolfmountaingroup.com wrote:

    >> Microsoft-isms
    >> there
    >> >
    >> > Seriously? Because it doesn't seem to have had enough peer review,
    >> > it hasn't had widespread testing in somewhere like linux-next or
    >> > -mm, and we already have kgdb so you have to also explain why you
    >> > can't improve kgdb in the areas it trails mdb.
    >>
    >> If you go back to LKML from 2000, this debugger has been around for 10
    >> years. I agree not in the hands of the public, but its very mature
    >> in comparison to kdb or kgdb.
    >
    > OK I don't doubt that at all, but I just mean in terms of being reviewed
    > by Linux people and how it merges with the current kernel (eg. we now
    > have a debugger, which was unthinkable in 2000 :)).
    >

    >> > But the ideal outcome would be if you could contribute patches to
    >> > kgdb to the point where it is as good as mdb. It is already in the
    >> > tree and supported by a handful of architectures... any chance of
    >> > that? (I don't know kernel debugger code, so I ask as an interested
    >> > user)
    >>
    >> I plan to work on kdb and yes, there is a version of this that runs
    >> as an alternate debugger of kdb - you can even switch back and forth
    >> between them - but that misses the point as well.
    >>
    >> I can wait untl its more widespread -- or not.
    >
    > That would be great if you do work on kgdb... But I guess I do miss
    > the point, then. Is there a technical difference with kgdb that cannot
    > be worked around, a difference of opinion with maintainers, a wish to
    > have mdb features at short notice?

    Nick, its OK. There have been 27,453 downloads of the patches from my ftp
    server since yesterday when I osted it -- from what I am seeing people are
    voting with their feet. People can get it and I even posted it t
    SourceForge as well. After ten years of working on Linux I thougt it
    would be nice for something I wrote to end up there. It will happen when
    its time. As it stands, people are using it and it is going to help a lot
    of folks, which is what this is all about.

    :-)

    Jeff

      Last update: 2008-08-05 17:55    [W:0.029 / U:29.404 seconds]