    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Merkey's Kernel Debugger
    On Wednesday 06 August 2008 01:19, wrote:

    > >> No I was not, but I am now. At any rate, I removed the Microsoft-isms
    > >> from the code. I can cut yet another patch for git6, but git5 was there
    > >> -- GPL2 and all. How about putting in into the kernel guys -- :-)
    > >
    > > Seriously? Because it doesn't seem to have had enough peer review,
    > > it hasn't had widespread testing in somewhere like linux-next or
    > > -mm, and we already have kgdb so you have to also explain why you
    > > can't improve kgdb in the areas it trails mdb.
    > If you go back to LKML from 2000, this debugger has been around for 10
    > years. I agree not in the hands of the public, but its very mature
    > in comparison to kdb or kgdb.

    OK I don't doubt that at all, but I just mean in terms of being reviewed
    by Linux people and how it merges with the current kernel (eg. we now
    have a debugger, which was unthinkable in 2000 :)).

    > > But the ideal outcome would be if you could contribute patches to
    > > kgdb to the point where it is as good as mdb. It is already in the
    > > tree and supported by a handful of architectures... any chance of
    > > that? (I don't know kernel debugger code, so I ask as an interested
    > > user)
    > I plan to work on kdb and yes, there is a version of this that runs
    > as an alternate debugger of kdb - you can even switch back and forth
    > between them - but that misses the point as well.
    > I can wait untl its more widespread -- or not.

    That would be great if you do work on kgdb... But I guess I do miss
    the point, then. Is there a technical difference with kgdb that cannot
    be worked around, a difference of opinion with maintainers, a wish to
    have mdb features at short notice?

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-08-05 17:55    [W:0.027 / U:9.752 seconds]