    SubjectRe: tty: ctrl-c not always echoed, especially under load
    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 16:03:02 -0600
    Joe Peterson <joe@skyrush.com> wrote:

    > I am experiencing a rather intermittent and hard-to-reproduce issue in the tty
    > layer, and I am posting here to get ideas on how to debug it from those of you
    > who have delved into the tty internals. I suspect some kind of race is going on
    > or the echo is caught in the tty buffer when it gets flushed (and never makes it
    > to the tty). Heavy load (compiling, etc.) seems to make it more likely.
    >
    > When a signal character (e.g. ctrl-c) is received, the tty ldisc and driver are
    > flushed, the character is echoed (e.g. "^C" if echoctl is on), and the signal is
    > issued. Because the flush happens first, the echo should always appear on the
    > tty, but sometimes it does not. What I am wondering is how the echo could get
    > "swallowed". The code I have been using to test this is:

    If the output buffer is full then echoed characters/^C etc will vanish the
    way n_tty implements its buffering internally. It's always worked that
    way.

    Alan

      Last update: 2008-08-05 01:31    [W:0.019 / U:1.572 seconds]