SubjectRe: high latency NFS
From
On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 10:32:06AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 03:15:59PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > >
> > > Right, but even request queue depth is not a good indicator. You
> > > need to leep track of how many NFSDs are actually doing useful
> > > work. That is, if you've got an NFSD on the CPU that is hitting
> > > the cache and not blocking, you don't need more NFSDs to handle
> > > that load because they can't do any more work than the NFSD
> > > that is currently running is.
> > >
> > > i.e. take the solution that Greg banks used for the CPU scheduler
> > > overload issue (limiting the number of nfsds woken but not yet on
> > > the CPU),
> >
> > I don't remember that, or wasn't watching when it happened.... Do you
> > have a pointer?
>
> Ah, I thought that had been sent to mainline because it was
> mentioned in his LCA talk at the start of the year. Slides
> 65-67 here:
>
> http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux.conf.au/2007/video/talks/41.pdf

OK, so to summarize: when the rate of incoming rpc's is very high (and,
I guess, when we're serving everything out of cache and don't have IO
wait), all the nfsd threads will stay runable all the time. That keeps
userspace processes from running (possibly for "minutes"). And that's a
problem even on a server dedicated only to nfs, since it affects portmap
and rpc.mountd.

The solution is given just as "limit the # of nfsd's woken but not yet
on CPU." It'd be interesting to see more details.

Off hand, this seems like it should be at least partly the scheduler's
job. E.g. could we tell it to schedule all the nfsd threads as a group?
I suppose the disadvantage to that is that we'd lose information about
how many threads are actually needed, hence lose the chance to reap
unneeded threads?

--b.

  Last update: 2008-08-04 03:15    [W:0.124 / U:0.048 seconds]