    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] OSS Proxy using CUSE
    At Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:05:53 +0200,
    Tejun Heo wrote:

    > Hello again,
    >
    > So, after all the fuss, here's the state-of-the-art standard-compliant
    > cloud-computing web-3.0-beta web page for OSS emulation using CUSE.
    >
    > http://userweb.kernel.org/~tj/ossp/
    >
    > It works pretty well here. :-)

    Thanks for info. Just a quick glance, CUSE looks like a good
    abstraction for this kind of things.

    I've been thinking that the tunneling to an OSS-emulation daemon would
    be the best way, too, and I actually made a similar hack (not based on
    FUSE but own kernel module).

    It was presented in SUSE Labs conference a few years ago. And the
    reaction by audience at that time was what Adrian showed -- why do we
    need such a complexity at all? Well, as long as we have OSS API and
    its applications, we should keep supporting them in a good form.

    Anyway, my implementation at that time was too hackish and I gave up
    soon. If it can be implemented in a generic framework like CUSE,
    it's a good chance to merge to the upstream.

    One thing I couldn't find in your code is the mmap support.
    The mmap support is crucial for some apps, typically used for games.
    Am I missing something?

    thanks,

    Takashi

      Last update: 2008-08-29 12:43    [W:0.019 / U:60.132 seconds]