    SubjectRe: loaded router, excessive getnstimeofday in oprofile
    > I've worked with systems where SO_TIMESTAMP has been used for
    > H.323 videoconferencing systems to synchronize audio and video

    But didn't you really want a "end2end" time stamp in this case,
    as in really at the end of all kernel/hardware queues on your side.

    A packet roughly travels this way on a normal NIC before it hits recvmsg()

    wire -> NIC on die buffers -> NIC RX ring -> interrupt handler ->
    NAPI or per CPU queue -> softirq socket lookup -> socket queue -> recvmsg

    These all do their own queuing and all queues can add delays depending
    on the load. Right now SO_TIMESTAMP is in the interrupt handler,
    but it's just an arbitary position in a multitude of queues.

    For video conferencing (or e.g. in general if you implement a retransmit
    timeout in user space) scheduling delays on the local box
    surely need to be taken into account too because they all add
    to the final timing of the packets on the wire.

    The queues inside the system are really part of the network
    too. In Linux for example the algorithms who size the TCP
    buffer space know that and especially take account for it
    and reserve a local queue buffer.

    > where remote systems' timestamps on the protocol streams proved
    > to be inaccurate (based off of different, unsynchronized clocks).

    Yes, but why ignore local scheduling delays?

    > I can't see any other realistic use of this, but trying to get
    > timestamps for quasi-realtime protocols may be an important use
    > case - and in that case, you want the time when it hits the
    > interface, NOT when it hits the socket.

    I think it's the other way round. Why would the real time
    protocol care when it hits some arbitary queue in the network
    stack instead of the time when the application can really
    read the data?

    > What utility does the time of hitting the socket get you?

    SO_TIMESTAMP was originally invented for passive network
    monitoring as in tcpdump (for which PACKET sockets were designed
    originally, DHCP is really just abusing them imho). There it makes
    some sense to do the time stamp as near on the wire as possible
    but really a hardware time stamp would be better because
    it is even nearer. But for anything that does end2end it's
    the wrong semantics anyways because ignoring local queueing
    delays would be just a bug, and SO_TIMESTAMP ignores them currently.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-08-28 09:23    [W:0.049 / U:15.564 seconds]