SubjectRe: /proc/acpi/ibm/wan stopped appearing
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > 2. The proper way to control ANY radio's rfkill functions is through the
> > rfkill sysfs interface. That includes thinkpad-acpi's bluetooth and WWAN.
> >

> Do you know what UI-level programs make use of these interfaces now?

Anything that does it through HAL when HAL gets updated, I suppose.

I don't really care for the network management GUIs, I have never seen one
that worked properly, so I dropped them all for good. The UIs I use are
wpa-supplicant's config file, iproute and friends, and Debian's ifupdown
crap.

The only UI I trust enough to touch rfkill control on my machines is the
kernel itself (rfkill-input is an UI), so I guess you will have to ask
someone else about it normal user-level UIs and GUIs for rfkill :(
Probably in the linux-wireless ML, instead of here in LKML.

> > IOW, we may have a regression here. Please compile thinkpad-acpi with debug
> > mode enabled, load it with the "debug=0xffff" and "experimental=1"
> > parameters (as far as I remember, WWAN requires "experimental=1" to work,
> > without that it will NOT load, and you will NOT get /proc/acpi/ibm/wan or
> > anything else WWAN related from thinkpad-acpi), and send me the resulting
> > log output from thinkpad-acpi.
>
> Actually, that may be it. I think I used to load it as a module, and
> modprobe.conf set experimental=1, but I don't have an equivalent on the
> kernel command line.

thinkpad-acpi.experimental=1 in the kernel command line should do it.

> I think I'll submit a patch to remove the need for experimental; it's
> been working fine for me for 3 years now.

It is in my TODO list, so you don't need to bother. But if you do, here are
my requirements for patches to be accepted, so that you don't waste your
time:

1. Do it based on thinkpad-acpi in Linus' mainline, and give the patch a
proper title prefix ("ACPI: thinkpad-acpi: "), title and commit message.
Sign it off, and CC me.

2. UPDATE THE DOCUMENTATION ALONG WITH THE CODE, in the SAME patch. That
means Documentation/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.txt.

Plus the usual "test it first", etc. But it will be an extremely trivial
one-liner patch to the code, so I wouldn't worry much about that ;-) It is
the doc update that will make up most of the patch.

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2008-08-28 03:49    [W:0.105 / U:0.432 seconds]