SubjectIs SKAS still required for UML
Hi,

the UML page at http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/old/skas.html
mentions that "The UML kernel is present in the address space of each of
its processes, and, by default, is writeable".

I tried to put this to a test, and actually failed to modify the
UML kernel/memory image from within it. I had a simple kernel module
with 'int val = 2;' and upon loading this, done printk("Val is at %p\n",
&val); to get to know the address. A userspace program inside the UML
then tried to dereference that address and read the value, but that
ended in a segfault. /proc/xxx/maps also does not show the UML kernel
being mapped in any process inside the UML. Note that I was running in
SKAS0 mode, both host and guest are all 64-bit. Is the NX bit of the
64-bit platform securing things off, or has SKAS3 become sort of
obsolete?

Jan

  Last update: 2008-08-27 19:01    [W:0.042 / U:1.912 seconds]