    SubjectRe: [Bug #11342] Linux 2.6.27-rc3: kernel BUG at mm/vmalloc.c - bisected
    On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 04:00:33PM -0700, David VomLehn wrote:
    > Parag Warudkar wrote:
    >> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Linus Torvalds
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> And embedded people (the ones that might care about 1% code size) are the
    >>> ones that would also want smaller stacks even more!
    >> This is something I never understood - embedded devices are not going
    >> to run more than a few processes and 4K*(Few Processes)
    >> IMHO is not worth a saving now a days even in embedded world given
    >> falling memory prices. Or do I misunderstand?
    > Embedded applications span a huge range of sizes, from the very small
    > devices to which you refer, to quite complex devices. The cable settop
    > boxes we develop have over a hundred interrupt sources, typically run
    > 250-300 threads, and have 192+ MiB of memory. For all that, we are very
    > cost sensitive and are under constant pressure to come up with reliable
    > ways to save memory.

    As you say correctly the term "embedded" gets used for many different

    And if you have 192+ MiB of memory you have so much that all these
    kernel size discussions don't really matter.

    > David VomLehn

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-08-27 01:49    [W:0.027 / U:1.840 seconds]