SubjectRe: An idea .... with code
jassi brar <jassi_singh_brar@yahoo.com> writes:

> Lately a question has been bugging me: Why do we keep complicated(specific ioctls to set up and set free)

Can you please expand a bit why you think losetup is that complicated
and what the problem is with it?

AFAIK you're essentially just moving a minimal version of losetup
(with missing features like no offsets etc.) into the kernel and
frankly I fail to see the beauty in that. Or rather if you start with
losetup, why stop at mount, modprobe, ifconfig, mkfs, fsck, ls[1], ...?

For me it seems more that most of the file system based command
interfaces (/proc/mtrr comes to mind) are quite hard to use and
I prefer a proper command line tool with a manpage and --help
and a real parser any day.

-Andi

[1] I'm sure someone could come up with some scheme to do ls using sysfs
and you could find someone on this list who said "cool" :)

  Last update: 2008-08-26 10:27    [W:0.098 / U:1.140 seconds]