    SubjectRe: An idea .... with code
    jassi brar <jassi_singh_brar@yahoo.com> writes:

    > Lately a question has been bugging me: Why do we keep complicated(specific ioctls to set up and set free)

    Can you please expand a bit why you think losetup is that complicated
    and what the problem is with it?

    AFAIK you're essentially just moving a minimal version of losetup
    (with missing features like no offsets etc.) into the kernel and
    frankly I fail to see the beauty in that. Or rather if you start with
    losetup, why stop at mount, modprobe, ifconfig, mkfs, fsck, ls[1], ...?

    For me it seems more that most of the file system based command
    interfaces (/proc/mtrr comes to mind) are quite hard to use and
    I prefer a proper command line tool with a manpage and --help
    and a real parser any day.

    -Andi

    [1] I'm sure someone could come up with some scheme to do ls using sysfs
    and you could find someone on this list who said "cool" :)

      Last update: 2008-08-26 10:27    [W:0.022 / U:0.996 seconds]