SubjectRe: An idea .... with code
jassi brar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lately a question has been bugging me: Why do we keep complicated(specific ioctls to set up and set free) LOOP driver to emulate a data file as block-device, for it to be mounted/formated.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if we didnt have to specify '-o loop' or use losetup -d etc?
>
> With inspiration from UMS-Gadget and LOOP driver itself, I implemented a proof of concept: A kernel module which creats a node in /sys/devices/ and un/loads files to be emulated as block devices. The interface doesn't implement any new ioctls or a syscall.

This seems like a really interesting idea, but will it interface with
crypto applications like LUKS? Crypto seems to be a vital feature for
anything related to devices and/or filesystems if an approach is going
to be more than a niche slution.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

  Last update: 2008-08-26 04:37    [W:0.098 / U:3.132 seconds]