SubjectRe: Visible Ctrl-C in latest kernels
Willy Tarreau wrote:
> I would not be surprized that it is what has caused delays for Ctrl-C
> to take effect for some of us. As discussed in another thread on the
> subject, the problem was relatively recent and not easy to reproduce.

I don't think so. Joe Peterson raised A line of enquiry, which looked
quite promising to me, in
http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=121502197008293. He observed weird
behaviour with pgrp, and that doesn't seem to have been explored
adequately. I think it's worth highlighting that the code which sends
the signal is the following snippet, from n_tty.c:

if (tty->pgrp)
kill_pgrp(tty->pgrp, signal, 1);

I wonder if pgrp has a value different than we expect?

> Now we have a patch to try to revert if/when we finally get a reproducible
> case.

I had an idea; it didn't work out as I expected, but it did produce a
result that I can't immediately explain; and it might be relevant. The
following program, when executed in background (./testprogram &) stops
at tcsetpgrp(), which is fine; and if then continued (fg), it is immune
to the interrupt, quit and suspend keys. However, it is not immune to
those keys if executed in foreground (./testprogram). As said, I can't
immediately explain this, and it seems like it might be important...

#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <signal.h>

main() {
int i;
pid_t pid = getpid();
pid_t ppid = getppid();
int tty = open("/dev/tty", 0);
if (tty == -1) {
perror("/dev/tty");
exit(1);
}
printf("pid %d (pgrp %d), ppid %d (pgrp %d), pgrp %d\n", pid, getpgid(pid), ppid, getpgid(ppid), tcgetpgrp(tty));

if (tcsetpgrp(tty, ppid) == -1) {
perror("tcsetpgrp");
exit(2);
}

for (i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
sleep(1);
write(1, ".", 1);
}
sleep(1);
write(1, "\n", 1);

return 0;
}

  Last update: 2008-08-25 19:39    [W:0.058 / U:0.644 seconds]