SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] mdb: Merkey's Linux Kernel Debugger 2.6.27-rc4 released
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 02:03:26PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 04:47 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > Sure, but volatile isn't a replacement for memory barriers.
> >
> > Let's face it, the C standard does not support concurrency, so we are
> > all in a state of sin in any case, forced to rely on combinations of
> > gcc-specific non-standard language extensions and assembly language.
>
> Hehe, still, a little birdie told me they are working on it and perhaps
> someone with clue could enlighten us on their direction.

Well, I guess you guys will be the judge of that. Or one of the judges,
at least. ;-)

One advantage of the current c++0x approach is that it allows extremely
weak memory barriers to be used in many cases that would require smp_rmb()
in current Linux kernel. If you are crazy enough to want to see a
sneak preview in standardese, try all 10MB of:

http://open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2008/n2691.pdf

Section 1.10 (physical page 25, logical page 11) describes the memory model.
Sections 29 and 30 describe the operations (physical page 1155, logical
page 1141). The C and C++ guys got together ahead of time and agreed to
work together towards a compatible solution.

And rcu_dereference() would be implemented in terms of memory_order_consume,
for whatever that is worth.

> Still, I'd like Jeff to show his C, the resulting asm and the intent for
> the volatile and barrier versions of his code (well, little snippets of
> his code obviuosly).
>
> Either he doesn't understand barriers (nothing to be ashamed about), or
> we might have more trouble lurking in the rest of the kernel.

Sounds fair to me!

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2008-08-21 16:55    [W:1.848 / U:0.116 seconds]