    SubjectRe: [GIT]: Networking
    On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 07:51:15PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
    > From: Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com>
    > Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:25:15 -0400
    >
    > > So, not to add fuel to a fire that seems to be calming down, but what is
    > > so wrong with having that feeling? If the core people are spending 3
    > > months doing nothing but fixing bugs, the I consider that to _be_ the
    > > best work from the best people.
    >
    > All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy, that's the
    > problem. :-)
    >
    > I don't care how much someone claims they enjoy bug fixing
    > and gathering up other people's patches, you will go out
    > of your mind or become bored to death if you don't get to
    > spend real time implementing something significant from
    > time to time.

    That's true and I would also add that it's very common for bugs to
    be discovered and fixed while implementing new features. However,
    it's so convenient to manage several branches with git that it should
    not be a problem to "play" in one branch and push all the stuff during
    the merge window only. One of the problems with networking is that you
    need a lot of testers. I don't think it's too hard for them to pull
    from your development tree. And if it is, maybe you can incite them
    from time to time by releasing snapshots as plain patches.

    BTW, it also helps testers a lot to be able to play with topic trees
    provided as patches against last release, because they generally can
    apply them to stable kernels without the fear of losing their data.
    I'm sure that many people already run stable kernels with not-yet-merged
    patches on top of them and are happy that way.

    Regards,
    Willy

      Last update: 2008-08-20 06:23    [W:3.714 / U:0.028 seconds]