    SubjectRe: ACPI OSI disaster on latest HP laptops - critical temperature shutdown
    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008, Norbert Preining wrote:
    > There something else strange, no idea if that is related, sometimes it
    > just hangs after
    > Setting the clock.
    > That is a message of Debian/sid and probably calls hwclock or something
    > similar.

    Yes, it is a call to hwclock. It recently started to cause lockups on my
    ThinkPad T43 too (it is a regression of some sort, either in hwclock or the
    kernel), but I was too busy to care. I just removed the hwclock calls on
    the init path completely, since my clock is in UTC anyway and they were just
    wasting boot time.

    Interestingly enough, the hwclock call to SET the clock on the shutdown path
    never causes any problems. This could be a Debian userspace issue, or
    hwclock reading of the RTC is broken, but writes are not.

    But the thermal hang is something else entirely. You have at least two
    different bugs causing you grief.

    Henrique Holschuh

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-08-02 16:55    [W:0.023 / U:0.096 seconds]