    SubjectRe: [patch v3] splice: fix race with page invalidation
    On Saturday 02 August 2008 04:28, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > > Well, a) it probably makes sense in that case to provide another mode
    > > of operation which fills the data synchronously from the sender and
    > > copys it to the pipe (although the sender might just use read/write)
    > > And b) we could *also* look at clearing PG_uptodate as an optimisation
    > > iff that is found to help.
    > IMO it's not worth it to complicate the API just for the sake of
    > correctness in the so-very-rare read error case. Users of the splice
    > API will simply ignore this requirement, because things will work fine
    > on ext3 and friends, and will break only rarely on NFS and FUSE.
    > So I think it's much better to make the API simple: invalid pages are
    > OK, and for I/O errors we return -EIO on the pipe. It's not 100%
    > correct, but all in all it will result in less buggy programs.

    That's true, but I hate how we always (in the VM, at least) just brush
    error handling under the carpet because it is too hard :(

    I guess your patch is OK, though. I don't see any reasons it could cause

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-08-02 06:39    [W:0.019 / U:8.768 seconds]