SubjectRe: AGP and PAT (induced?) problem (on AMD family 6)
On 19-08-08 12:26, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Rene Herman <rene.herman@keyaccess.nl> wrote:

>>> Thank you. Additional information at http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/8/6/449

>>> Quite a lot "uncached-minus" in those lists. I am desperately trying to
>>> avoid a clue about mostly anything graphics related so, "I dunno".
>>>
>>> I haven't just disabled PAT yet (although I was about to just do so)
>>> and am available for testing.
>> <waiting with bated breath>
>>
>> Additional observation with respect to first,next shutdown:
>>
>> With Option "AGPSize" "64", and booted with "nopat", X startup (from
>> startx<enter> to functional desktop) is approximately 5 seconds,
>> shutdown is 1 second as calibration times.
>>
>> Booted without "nopat", X startup seems to alternate between 10+ and
>> 16+ seconds and for shutdown -- the first shutdown after boot takes
>> some 14 seconds total, subsequent shutdowns settle at around 5
>> seconds.
>
> would it be possible to start up and shut down X in the slow case via
> strace, by doing something like this:
>
> strace -f -ttt -TTT -o trace.log startx
>
> and see which system calls (or other activities) took suspiciously long?

It wouldn't it seems. Root X (needed for the strace) works fine but
started this way hangs indefinitely.

I believe the 14 seconds for first shutdown to 5 later might be telling.
Sounds like something might have fixed up uncached entries.

I'd really like a reply from the AGP or PAT side right about now.

Rene.

  Last update: 2008-08-19 16:21    [W:0.183 / U:0.120 seconds]