SubjectRe: AGP and PAT (induced?) problem (on AMD family 6)
On 15-08-08 17:24, Rene Herman wrote:

> On 15-08-08 16:22, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
>> (more people Cc:-ed)
>
> Thank you. Additional information at http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/8/6/449
>
>> agreed - +12 seconds wait suggest some rather fundamental breakage.
>> Did we go back to uncached for some critical display area that makes
>> X start up (shut down) that slowly? Did we mark the BIOS uncacheable
>> perhaps, causing X to execute BIOS code very slowly?
>
> Quite a lot "uncached-minus" in those lists. I am desperately trying to
> avoid a clue about mostly anything graphics related so, "I dunno".
>
> I haven't just disabled PAT yet (although I was about to just do so) and
> am available for testing.

<waiting with bated breath>

Additional observation with respect to first,next shutdown:

With Option "AGPSize" "64", and booted with "nopat", X startup (from
startx<enter> to functional desktop) is approximately 5 seconds,
shutdown is 1 second as calibration times.

Booted without "nopat", X startup seems to alternate between 10+ and 16+
seconds and for shutdown -- the first shutdown after boot takes some 14
seconds total, subsequent shutdowns settle at around 5 seconds.

Rene.

  Last update: 2008-08-19 12:13    [W:0.091 / U:0.304 seconds]