SubjectRe: [malware-list] scanner interface proposal was: [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Eric Paris wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 17:15 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>>> read -> we have the ALLOW/mark result bit in core set so just allow.
>>
>> Don't think we need this - SELinux can do that bit
>>
>>> mtime update -> clear ALLOW/"mark result" bit in core, send async
>>> notification to userspace
>>
>> Why via the kernel ?
>
> the single in core allow/deny bit is so that the vast majority of
> operations are completely free. Say we scan/index /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> once. Do you really want every single read/mmap operation from then on
> to have to block waiting for the userspace caches of you HSM, your AV
> scanner, and you indexer? If all three tell the kernel they don't need
> to see it again and that information is easy and free to maintain, lets
> do it.

this is why the proposal caches the results of all the scanners with the
file (in the xattrs), rather then having each scanner store it's own scan
results

David Lang

  Last update: 2008-08-18 19:41    [W:0.052 / U:0.068 seconds]