SubjectRe: TALPA - a threat model? well sorta.
Hi!

> Now this to me we have a few basic building blocks:
> 1) We need an efficient mechanism to notify userspace of files that get
> dirtied. Virus scanners will subscribe to this for the async dirty
> scanning; indexing agents also will subscribe to this.

ACK.

> I think few people will disagree about this.
>
> Open questions now are
> 4) do we have the kernel kick off an async scan in open() or do we have
> glibc do this
> 5) do we have the kernel do the sync scan on read/mmap/.. or do we have
> glibc do this

How does it work? Memory can still change after mmap; scanning at the
mmap time is _NOT_ enough.

You could do 'when app attempts to dirty memory, synchronously unmap
it from all apps that have it mapped' and then do sync scan on
pagefault time; but that sounds impractical.
Pavel

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans