    SubjectRE: [malware-list] TALPA - a threat model? well sorta.
    Arjan van de
    > Ven; hch@infradead.org; Helge Hafting; linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org;
    malware-
    > list@lists.printk.net; Peter Zijlstra; viro@ZenIV.linux.org.uk
    > Subject: Re: [malware-list] TALPA - a threat model? well sorta.
    >
    > > Not to mention removable media - it might be old hat, but
    infected/malware
    > > files can come in on floppies, CDs or USB flash discs careless left
    on the
    > > pavement outside an office.
    >
    > That's not a problem given the scanning model proposed by Eric; when
    > you insert removable media, it will get scanned when it is first
    > accessed.

    That is exactly the idea. However, the context of this particular
    thread was the following statement by Helge Hafting:

    It seems to me that this "scan on file open" business is the
    wrong
    way to do things - because it reduces performance.

    If you scan on file open, then your security sw is too late and
    getting in the way.

    We were just pointing out that this is not a good argument in practical
    terms AGAINST scanning on open. In fact, your reply completely
    reinforces that point.

    Jon Press

      Last update: 2008-08-15 20:13    [W:3.468 / U:0.004 seconds]