SubjectRE: [malware-list] TALPA - a threat model? well sorta.
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Press, Jonathan wrote:

> [...]

correct so far.

> In addition, to generalize from the incorrect idea that the actions of
> root are not being defended against to the idea that the possible
> impacts of an administrator's actions in configuring an application
> should not be accounted for at all in our thinking doesn't make sense to
> me anyway.

questions had been raised about how this model could defend against all
the tricky things that root can do, the answer was that they are not
trying to defend against root doing tricky things.

turning off the scanner, letting things get infected, and turning it back
on would fall in the same catagory as marking a file that the scanner
marked as bad as sucessfully scanned.

in any case the vunerability is limited as the next time the signatures
are updated the files would get scanned again, so I don't think it's a big
problem in practice.

David Lang

  Last update: 2008-08-15 19:49    [W:0.137 / U:0.028 seconds]