SubjectRe: pthread_create() slow for many threads; also time to revisit 64b context switch optimization?

* Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> writes:
> >
> > i find it pretty unacceptable these days that we limit any aspect of
> > pure 64-bit apps in any way to 4GB (or any other 32-bit-ish limit).
>
> It's not limited to 2GB, there's a fallback to >4GB of course. Ok
> admittedly the fallback is slow, but it's there.

Of course - what you are missing is that _10 milliseconds_ thread
creation overhead is completely unacceptable overhead: it is so bad as
if we didnt even support it.

> I would prefer to not slow down the P4s. There are **lots** of them in
> field. And they ran 64bit still quite well. [...]

Nonsense, i had such a P4 based 64-bit box and it was painful. Everyone
with half a brain used them as 32-bit machines. Nor is the
context-switch overhead in any way significant. Plus, as Arjan mentioned
it, only the earliest P4 64-bit CPUs had this problem.

> [...] Also back then I benchmarked on early K8 and it also made a
> difference there (but I admit I forgot the numbers)

that's a lot of handwaving with no actual numbers. The numbers in this
discussion show that the context-switch overhead is small and that the
overhead on perfectly good systems that hit this limit is obscurely
high.

I'd love to zap MAP_32BIT this very minute from the kernel, but you
originally shaped the whole thing in such a stupid way that makes its
elimination impossible now due to ABI constraints. It would have cost
you _nothing_ to have added MAP_64BIT_STACK back then, but the quick &
sloppy solution was to reuse MAP_32BIT for 64-bit tasks. And you are
stupid about it even now. Bleh.

The correct solution is to eliminate this flag from glibc right now, and
maybe add the MAP_64BIT_STACK flag as well, as i posted it - if anyone
with such old boxes still cares (i doubt anyone does). That flag then
will take its usual slow route. Ulrich?

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-08-15 14:47    [W:0.179 / U:0.724 seconds]