    SubjectRE: Possible CPU_IDLE bug [WAS: Re: Timer unstability on when using C2 and deeper sleep states (Dell Latitude XT)]
    On Št, 2008-08-14 at 13:40 +0200, Milan Plzik wrote:
    > On Št, 2008-08-14 at 11:00 +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > > On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Milan Plzik wrote:
    > > > I tried it just now, is performs a bit better than 2.6.26 (e.g. I
    > > > don't get that "press any key unless nothing happens" states), even
    > > > reports a bit more reasonable values of wakeups, but the system
    > > > sometimes becomes rather slow (e.g. when playing video). I was not able
    > > > to compile fglrx driver, so I had to change it to radeon one. And also,
    > > > the number of wakeups reported is not very convincing, though, it
    > > > changes from 300 to 600 (which is ~ two times the sum of wakeups)
    > > > without any reason, and sometimes goes even higher.
    > > >
    > > > I tried to use nolapic_timer option, but it didn't help.
    > >
    > > Can you please try "hpet=disable" on the kernel command line ?
    > Looks like this has helped; after cold reboot hpet=disable seems to
    > help the system to run properly (on 2.6.26 kernel). I wonder what could
    > cause these problems. In the meanwhile I learned that this machine
    > doesn't do proper cleanup during reboot -- it seems that state before
    > reboot affects the state after reboot, so I should probably do some
    > re-testing with cold reboot after each attempt. I guess I tried
    > hpet=disable some time ago and after quick reboot it did not work
    > properly.

    UPDATE: looks like it doesn't help always. I cold-booted twice, once
    hpet=disable didn't help and the timing was messed up, the other time it
    seemed to work just correctly. Maybe it's some race condition during
    startup, but I was not able to find any substantial difference in kernel
    messages emitted during boot, (just little changes like 2401.86 BogoMIPS
    processor vs. 2401.88 and similar).

    > > Thanks,
    > > tglx
    > Thank you,
    > Milan

      Last update: 2008-08-14 15:31    [W:0.024 / U:7.536 seconds]