SubjectRE: [malware-list] TALPA - a threat model? well sorta.

I think that some people are missing the important point of Eric's recent original statement of the "threat model". Whether we move further in the direction of other security protections or not, we are currently talking about providing a mechanism for basic AV product to do their job, and the job we are talking about is scanning files when they are about to be used and might cause harm, or have just been created and we want to make sure they are OK. That is, the AV products that we are talking about in this context don't do anything else other than scan files.

With that in mind, there is no difference between scanning files being accessed/executed/created by root and the same for any other users. And in fact, to the extent that we claim at all to have a somewhat complete protection in that realm, excluding root will completely blow that protect out of the water and make it essentially useless.

> I think we need to define the 'desktop user' and provide a decent protection
> mechanism for his common activities (edit documents, listen music, navigate
> the web, see movies, run scripts which change the IM status etc). For the
> rest, there are two possibilities:

> 1. education (_extremely_ important);

It's like abstinence education...it sounds good, at least to some, but it doesn't work. In a way, that's the whole point. There are millions of users. It doesn't take many who missed the class to create an outbreak that does real damage. It goes back to the medical analogy. Do you spray the swamps for the mosquitoes that carry Eastern Equine Encephalitis, or do you knock on everyone's door and tell them not to go near the swamps, and hope that everyone's home when you're in their neighborhood?

> I don't think there will ever be an AV product using the marketing line: "it
> allows you to run your favorite rootkit and enjoy the pretty text it shows,
> with no worries".

You are right... Complete rootkit protection is a whole other area not fundamentally addressed by a scan. So let's not create a straw man about the things we don't claim to do and then knock the products because we don't do them.

  Last update: 2008-08-14 14:01    [W:0.179 / U:0.992 seconds]