SubjectUsefulness of p4-clockmod -- was --Re: cpufreq doesn't seem to work in Intel Q9300
Renaming this thread to suit the real discussion.

Please use this thread for further responses not related to getting
cpufreq working in Q9300.

Thanks,
SK

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:03:02 +0200
> Dominik Brodowski <linux@dominikbrodowski.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Arjan,

>> > that's.. not entirely true btw.
>>
>> well, the spec isn't really clear about this. It says (IA32 Intel
>> Architecture Software Developer's Manual, Volume 3, section 13.14.3)
>> that P6 family processors did this using STPCLK#. And STPCLK# was
>> also used by the chipset to force the CPU to enter C2, IIRC.
>
> not quite.. if it does for a certain cpu, then it's only for cpus that
> support C2.
>

>> Do P4s only do an C1-equivalent (or even less than that) now, as they
>> do the thermal throttling internally instead of externally using
>> STPCLK#?
>
> it's basically always less (or really best case equal) than c1 just due
> to the really short duration
>>

>> If it's C2-equivalent vs. C1, it's a win.
>
> it's not.
>
>>So throttling would be a
>> win from this perspective on a only C1-capable PIII, but not on a P4?
>> Is that what you're trying to hint at here?
>
> not even on PIII is it a win.. it's just too short a duration
> and your C2 theory.. not sure I believe it.
>

>> To summarize:
>>
>> (1) p6 family processors use STPCLK# initiated by the chipset for
>> thermal throttling.
>> (2) STPCLK# is also used by the chipset to make the CPU enter C2.
>
> well.... sometimes. It's more complex generally.
>
>> (3) p4-clockmod uses the STPCLK#-equivalent in p4 CPUs.
>> (4) Therefore, it is as effective as STPCLK#, and as effective as C2.
>
> This is not correct. C2 is only effective if you stay in it "long
> enough". Otherwise you pay the transition cost twice.
>

>> (5) STPCLK#/C2 has higher energy savings than hlt/C1.
>
> incorrect
>

> --
> If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
> For development, discussion and tips for power savings,
> visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2008-08-13 06:57    [W:0.030 / U:0.672 seconds]