    SubjectRe: invalidate caches before going into suspend
    On Wednesday 13 August 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Mark Langsdorf wrote:
    > >
    > > I don't think it's necessary. I can submit a delta patch later if you
    > > think it's really necessary.
    > Why not at least move it to after the local_irq_disable()?
    > That local_irq_disable() will do tons of writes if you have
    > lockdep enabled, it calls trace_hardirqs_off() etc. Maybe they don't end
    > up ever mattering, but wouldn't it make much more sense to just move the
    > wbinvd down to just before the
    > while (1)
    > halt();
    > which is also likely to make sure that the compiler won't do anything at
    > all because everything is dead at that point with no function calls etc
    > happening.

    I don't think we realized that local_irq_disable() did all that and
    so we only tested the submitted patch. I've resubmitted the unified
    patch after applying your suggestion. Thanks.

    -Mark Langsdorf
    Operating System Research Center

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-08-13 19:27    [W:0.048 / U:10.280 seconds]