SubjectRe: cpufreq doesn't seem to work in Intel Q9300
Wow! Didn't mean to start a "tech war" here (point's at the long
thread arguing the use of p4-clockmod).

>> It works in Windows XP, so I'm not sure if it's only a BIOS issue.
>
> On Windows platform drivers sometimes provide a replacement DSDT
> that might enable cpufreq. If that's the case there's nothing
> we can do really on the Linux side. You might be able to extract
> that DSDT from somewhere and supply it to Linux as a replacement
> DSDT, but that's not a supported configuration in the kernel.

I don't remember installing any special driver for Windows XP.
Since you claim that as a possibility, is there something that I can look
for to check if this is the case?

The reason I'm questioning this so much is because I plan to contact
Shuttle tech support and try to get them to fix this if it really is a BIOS
issue. But I need valid points to make sure they don't pass on the
blame and slip away. They do seem to release BIOS updates now and then
so I'm hoping I can coax them to release one.

>> If it's not that simple, then care to impart some knowledge?
>
> If you can't get your BIOS to provide the necessary methods
> then useful Linux cpufreq won't work. It's that simple.
> p4-clockmod aka throttling might work, but it doesn't actually
> save energy and often causes severe performance problems.

I definitely don't want to use anything that will have a drastic
effect on performance.

Thanks,
SK

  Last update: 2008-08-12 07:47    [W:0.146 / U:0.020 seconds]