    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] binfmt_som.c: add MODULE_LICENSE
    On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 10:41:54AM -0300, Bdale Garbee wrote:
    > On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 19:00 -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
    > > On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 06:55:11PM -0600, Grant Grundler wrote:
    > > > Someone from HP needs to ACK this patch since I believe HP funded the code
    > > > changes made during the parisc-linux port. This should be a no-brainer
    > > > and I expect Bdale Garbee can quickly take care of this.
    >
    > > I believe I did this work before joining Linuxcare,
    > > so I don't believe HP has any claim to it at all. You'd have to check
    > > CVS history to be sure.
    >
    > If that is indeed the timing, I agree. If not, let me know, and I'll
    > see if I can push the right buttons in HP.

    http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/obsolete/linux-2.2/fs/binfmt_som.c?rev=1.8&view=log

    indicates I first committed the file in June 1999 and was the majority
    committer to this file (prumpf also committed some code). My last
    commit to it was in November 1999 (while I still worked for Genedata).

    At some point around then, we moved to the 2.4 CVS tree:

    http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/linux-2.4/fs/binfmt_som.c?rev=1.21&view=log

    and there are some commits from other people at HP and myself while at
    Linuxcare and HP.

    The 2.5 development tree:
    http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/linux-2.5/fs/binfmt_som.c?rev=1.3&view=log

    doesn't show anything of great interest.

    and the 2.6 tree represents accurately how much effort we put into SOM:
    http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/linux-2.6/fs/binfmt_som.c?rev=1.8&view=log

    So while HP has a legitimate claim to some parts of the file, my initial
    contributions before I worked for Linuxcare or HP were the largest and I
    don't think that anyone has a legitimate claim that this is not a
    derived work of GPL code, and hence I think Adrian's patch should be
    accepted.

    a retrograde step."

      Last update: 2008-08-10 17:17    [W:0.021 / U:30.548 seconds]