SubjectRe: [patch 0/4] x86: AMD microcode patch loading v2 fixes
Dmitry Adamushko schrieb:
> Tigran, Peter,
>

> may a firmware package contain a few 'microcode' updates for a specific cpu?
>
> And if so, does each of them provide independent 'errata' fixes? [*]
>
> (or they are just different versions of the same self-consistent/full
> 'microcode' update and we may need to apply each of them just e.g.
> because we can't jump from stepping X.1 to X.3 without applying X.2 in
> between?
>
> if it's [1], then I wonder why only a single 'microcode' update (which
> has been previously cached in 'uci->mc') is being applied for the case
> of system-wide resume (apply_microcode_check_cpu()). Don't we need to
> go through the full cpu_request_microcode() cycle to consider all
> updates?
>

> TIA,

Dmitry,

to answer your question for the AMD part: ucode patches are always
combo-patches. A ucode patch for a particular CPU revision solves all targeted
issues at once. There is no case in which two or more ucode patches would be
applied to a CPU.

Peter

--
| AMD Saxony Limited Liability Company & Co. KG
Operating | Wilschdorfer Landstr. 101, 01109 Dresden, Germany
System | Register Court Dresden: HRA 4896
Research | General Partner authorized to represent:
Center | AMD Saxony LLC (Wilmington, Delaware, US)
| General Manager of AMD Saxony LLC: Dr. Hans-R. Deppe, Thomas McCoy

  Last update: 2008-08-01 14:25    [W:0.137 / U:0.092 seconds]