SubjectRe: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"
> That's pure bullox as far as I can see.  Why provide the means to
> do something nobody has had a need for in 6+ years? Who needs
> to load different firmware for the tg3 driver?

Who needs modules, nobody needed it for years ... you are repeating
historically failed arguments still.

> Who needs that capability? Distribution vendors? What for?
> In what case will they need to load different firmware from
> what the driver maintainer tested as a unit?

For some drivers yes. Maybe not tg3.

> And, btw, who has the right to enforce this new burdon upon driver
> maintainers when they have had a working and maintainable system for
> so long?

The module argument again - see my comment about the sound driver history.

> I can only see it being about separation, pure and simple.

Separation - of firmware that can be paged from code that cannot. Of
stuff that doesn't change from stuff that does. That happens to be good
engineering.

Alan

  Last update: 2008-07-08 09:13    [W:0.139 / U:4.584 seconds]