    SubjectRe: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"
    On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 14:23 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > That's a lot of "should" and "in most cases" and "in a ideal world".

    OK, let's phrase it differently:

    It almost never happens, and it's trivial to handle it safely in the
    extremely rare cases that it does. We don't need to start putting
    firmware in /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/ to deal with it.

    > What happens when the new firmware is buggy for example and prevents
    > booting of the system?

    If the firmware is required for booting the system, then it'll be
    included in the initramfs. The one on the _real_ file system is
    therefore irrelevant. When you select the last-known-good kernel from
    your boot loader you'll actually get the old firmware anyway.

    And given that we almost never update most of this firmware _either_, it
    really isn't a problem we should be losing sleep over.

    But distributors are free to shift it into /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/ if
    they want to -- it's easy enough to override INSTALL_FW_PATH. For now,
    though, that isn't compatible with upstream hotplug scripts and would be
    a bad choice as a default.

    And if a distribution which actually likes contributing its changes
    upstream ever starts using /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/, then perhaps we
    can discuss making it the default for the kernel too.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-05 14:45    [W:0.021 / U:63.112 seconds]