    SubjectRe: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"
    On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 09:41 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
    > At Sat, 5 Jul 2008 01:13:22 +0200,
    > Olivier Galibert wrote:
    > >
    > > On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 03:42:37PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
    > > > It doesn't yet; that patch is in linux-next. The firmware is shipped as
    > > > part of the kernel source tree, and you currently need to run 'make
    > > > firmware_install' to put it in /lib/firmware, although we're looking at
    > > > making that easier because apparently having to run 'make
    > > > firmware_install' is too hard...
    > >
    > > Won't that break multiple kernel installs on any binary packaging
    > > system that cares about file collisions? Multiple kernel rpms
    > > providing the same /lib/firmware files would break things wouldn't
    > > they ?
    > Yes, it will, if the firmware blobs are packed into the kernel
    > package. In a long term, we can put firmware files into a separate,
    > architecture independent noarch package, though. This will save the
    > total package size, too.

    I'm not familiar with the SuSE kernel specfile, but it was a fairly
    minor change to the Fedora kernel to do exactly that 'long term' thing.
    The patch is in the fedora-kernel-list archives.

    We have to do the same thing with exported headers, anyway -- those are
    built from the kernel too, but again we need to have only one copy
    installed or we'd get conflicts.

    > But, right now, it's difficult because the installation and build of
    > firmware files depend on the kernel config. We'd need a make rule for
    > installing the all firmware files for that purpose.

    That's what 'make firmware_install' does. It's config- and arch-
    independent, mostly because it was developed with distributors in mind.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-05 10:53    [W:0.020 / U:4.120 seconds]